About Process

Ground on ground, staining, rubbing, washing, printing, wiping, rinsing, ironing. These are the processes of my training and my inclination. They are continuously used and adapted in a dialogue with the land. Place and placelessness shift and slide as I deal with colonisation and dispossession. The land holds the traces of the past, glimpses are given, knowledge is gained and the dialogue continues. The archaeologist John Mulvaney once said that an inspirited landscape was one of the greatest gifts given to us by Indigenous people. My work aims to find a ground where this is respected across all cultures who share the land.

Drawing process

Drawing process
Membrane of Memory, Truganini Track, Mt Nelson, Tasmania

Friday, March 8, 2013

Phonemes


Phonemes are a series of small drawings, 20 x 20cm in sumi ink, charcoal and Gundaroo dirt on Rives BFK.  In linguistics a phoneme is the smallest distinctive unit of sound and in sign language it refers to the “basic elements of gesture and location”. I was attempting to devise a visual language around a linguistic system.  The drawings were useful to me in developing marks and processes that were suitable for my investigation but I found myself struggling with the language metaphor.  The more I looked into how language was structured, the more I found how culturally specific it was and how it seemed to operate quite differently from the visual arts.  The further I worked on the drawings in the land I realised I was actually trying to break down the signs and symbols which structured my thought processes.  Rather than building a new language I needed a new way of thinking.  The metaphor of language broke down for my research and I searched for another way of thinking about the visual arts that would be more appropriate for a cross-cultural dialogue.  These were important works to an ongoing series of works that continuously morph over the years but are broken down into paper sizes, 80 x 80 cm and 40 x 40 cm.  They are continuously worked on 'in situ' and back in the studio until they become 'active'.


No comments:

Post a Comment