About Process

Ground on ground, staining, rubbing, washing, printing, wiping, rinsing, ironing. These are the processes of my training and my inclination. They are continuously used and adapted in a dialogue with the land. Place and placelessness shift and slide as I deal with colonisation and dispossession. The land holds the traces of the past, glimpses are given, knowledge is gained and the dialogue continues. The archaeologist John Mulvaney once said that an inspirited landscape was one of the greatest gifts given to us by Indigenous people. My work aims to find a ground where this is respected across all cultures who share the land.

Drawing process

Drawing process
Membrane of Memory, Truganini Track, Mt Nelson, Tasmania

Monday, April 15, 2013

Ground on Ground


Ground on Ground: negotiating instability
In Kununurra I find myself on the edge of other cultures.  The land I stand on is sung and painted by its traditional owners and the massive push of colonisation is continuing its insidious path. The environment is harsh and unforgiving and yet is painted in the famous Kimberley tradition with great love and respect.  My current project is to negotiate my way on this precipice; to find a way to share the land whilst acknowledging precedence of the traditional owners.  The sandstone rocks continuously shift and move and hold stories of great heartbreak that are better told by witnesses and descendants.  Scratch the surface and you touch ‘country’, a term that carries the weight of Indigenous culture with it.  This project will record my careful tread to find a space for communication across cultures whilst respecting ‘country’.

The project will be through the process of drawing, which I will use to find a common ground for negotiation across cultures.  Ground is a commonality that brings us together and is also what is most contested and continues to cause destruction and heartbreak.

Paper is traditionally considered the ground of drawing, the neutral receptor for an artist’s marks, which brings meaning into the work.  I consider paper in the same way the philosopher Deleuze discusses memory; as ‘a membrane that puts an outside and an inside into contact, makes them present to each other, confronts them or makes them clash.’  Paper itself has a memory from its manufacturing process to the art historical tradition that it carries.  My job is to continue to challenge and extend that tradition.  

 Kununurra Kuts, digital photograph, Kelly's Knob, Kununurra, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment