About Process

Ground on ground, staining, rubbing, washing, printing, wiping, rinsing, ironing. These are the processes of my training and my inclination. They are continuously used and adapted in a dialogue with the land. Place and placelessness shift and slide as I deal with colonisation and dispossession. The land holds the traces of the past, glimpses are given, knowledge is gained and the dialogue continues. The archaeologist John Mulvaney once said that an inspirited landscape was one of the greatest gifts given to us by Indigenous people. My work aims to find a ground where this is respected across all cultures who share the land.

Drawing process

Drawing process
Membrane of Memory, Truganini Track, Mt Nelson, Tasmania

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Becoming Memory



The drawings were torn into pieces, packed and transported to my new home in Hobart.  The paper holds the traces of my drawing processes and also of ancient events.  My time in the Kimberley and at Mirima National Park becomes a memory.  I had thought the rough sandstone ochres would be strange in this new environment but there are very similar ochres in the hills around Hobart.  The sedimentary layers of what was once a sea bed, forced to the surface, eroded and blown to a new site has once again gone through a major upheaval.  The paper becomes loose leaf pages with a memory of materials and events.


Broken Line (in progress) TCotA Hobart


Broken Line (in progress) TCotA Hobart

No comments:

Post a Comment